Rolls Royce Merlin X aero engine
Nikon F3HP, Nikkor 35mm f/2 – 1/125s, f11, – Kentmere 400 rated at ISO 320
A Rolls Royce Merlin X aero engine on display at The Ruskin Museum in Coniston. The engine was one of four fitted to Handley Page Halifax V bomber, LL505 ‘FD-S’ of the Royal Air Force’s 1659 Heavy Conversion unit (HCU) that crashed on Great Carrs between Coniston and Little Langdale during a navigational exercise on 22 October 1944. All eight members of the crew were killed in the crash.
The engine is one of two recovered by the RAF in 1997, the other is in the Pathfinder Museum at RAF Wyton in Cambridgeshire.
Scan by AgLab with minimal cropping and tweaking in Lightroom Classic CC.