Wellington’s Monument, January 2020
Fujica GW690 – 1/500s, f8, – Ilford Delta 400 Professional rated at ISO 800
Developed in Ilfosol 3 at 1:9, 14 mins at 20°c.
Wellington’s Monument stands high above the Derbyshire village of Baslow. Dedicated to the Duke of Wellington it was raised by local dignitary Lieutenant Colonel Edward Mason Wrench (1833-1912) in 1866.
Not much else seems to be known about the monument, one story, probably apocryphal, suggests that it was built to commemorate a visit of the Iron Duke to the area while a guest of the Duke of Rutland. Or perhaps it was merely built to provide a balance for the monument to Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson on nearby Birchin Edge.
Epson 4870 Photo scan with minimal cropping and tweaking in Lightroom Classic CC.